Saturday, September 6, 2014

First Day of KINDERGARTEN...Round 1

Well, the day finally arrived...the first day of kindergarten!  Reagan was excited and I had been crying since reading her "The Night Before Kindergarten" and "The Kissing Hand" the night before.  (we always read "The Kissing Hand" on the first day of school when I was teaching 2nd grade...I thought it was cute, but come on seriously?!  NOW as a mom, oh my GOSH, I couldn't hardly read the first 2 pages without bawling!  Being a mom changes everything!)  



This guy was doing silly dances to get Reaggie to smile...I think he was also pretty excited to have Mommy to himself for the day :)

I can't wait to see how she grows into this shirt each year!





on the way!

About to go in!  We drove her the first day, but she wanted to ride the bus on her second day, so she said!  We dropped her off in the front of the building and then the doors opened and the kids were just to walk in by themselves...no parents.  Oh I was a mess...like ugly crying big time!

Yes, I looked awful...I told Reagan I wasn't even going to attempt make up that morning!

To help the morning pass by, we had Landon and Liam over to decorate their pennants for preschool!  They had so much fun playing and bumping into each other with trucks.  The moms had fun chatting too!

I couldn't wait to pick up Reagan and talk to her about her first day!!  I went into the school to pick her up, which her teacher knew I was going to do.  I told the teacher at the cafeteria doors "Reagan Kepplinger" and she said, "she's not on my list.  Did you even tell the teacher she was supposed to be in here?"  That was in a snotty tone too...it took all of my being to not give her attitude right back, but I refrained.  "Yes, I told Reagan's teacher I was picking her up."  Well lo and behold the teacher just hadn't sent the kids down yet....that didn't put the best taste in my mouth.  When I saw Reagan I gave her the biggest hug and asked her how her day was and she said, "it was okay.  We sat on the carpet a lot."  Now, if you know my Reagan, this is NOT how she talks about school.  We talked about how teachers have to talk a lot about rules on the first day and that kindergarten is different than preschool and lots of other things, but she just wasn't happy.  In fact, putting her to bed that night, she was about in tears asking if she had to go back the next day...talk about breaking my heart!  SOOO...that night Keith and I quickly discussed the other school we were looking at for Reagan...I decided to email the admissions direction just to see if there was even a spot available for Reagan and if the aid they were going to give us was still available.  She promptly responded, that yes there was a spot...so Tuesday turned into the waiting game and after another "blah" day at school, we decided she was going to withdraw and start at St. Anne's, which didn't start until the following Wednesday.  Selfishly, I was happy I got a few extra days with my sweet girl before she really started kindergarten!  Now perhaps our decision was too quick, perhaps we should have given it more time, but I'll tell you it just didn't feel right.  Reagan's teacher was very sweet, there were sweet kids in her class, but we know we made the best choice for Reagan!

No comments:

Post a Comment