Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hand, Foot, and Mouth...



My sweet little man has himself Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease.  YUCK!  I feel sooo terrible for him.  He seems to be doing ok, as long as he has tylenol in his system...

He woke up yesterday morning with very pink cheeks and he felt a little warm...I took his temperature (with our SUPER crappy ear thermometer) and it said 98.8, I think.  I took mine next and it said 94.7, which hello, was way off.  Then I did an underarm temp and it was about 100.8.  I gave him some tylenol, he was acting fine after that, ate a great breakfast, drank a lot of water, played with sister, and took a good morning nap.  While I was getting him dressed I noticed some "bumps" on his arms. Similar to what I thought I saw on Saturday night...I tried not to panic....The ORIGINAL plan today was to go to the gym, Mommy do zumba, kids in KidZone, then go to the pool.  When LTK had a bit of a fever though, I knew that was out.  SOOO we were going to have fun playing in the sprinkler and water table this morning.  Back to the bumps...so I called the doctor's office to leave a message for a nurse, but then 2 minutes later wound up calling for an appointment.  A neighbor had JUST put on facebook this morning that her daughter has HFandM and guess what, they were at the gym the SAME day last week.  We got to the doctor and, after waiting way too long, we were called back.  The nurse was asking me some questions and then took L's temperature...the poor thing had a 102.2* fever!  I felt terrible.  The doctor finally came in, predicted that it was HFandM, but still swabbed his throat to rule out strep since he had soo many little bumpies in his mouth.  While we were waiting for the results Landon was getting more and more lathargic, it was scary.  He was almost asleep snuggling on my shoulder, which is NOT like him at all.  Poor guy...when the doctor came back in and said it wasn't strep she game him more tylenol, which seemed to help him.  We stopped by Walgreens on the way home for a NEW THERMOMETER (just spend the money on a good one, don't get cheapy after cheapy...I've learned my lesson!) and some more medicine.  He ran a temperature the rest of the day, but it got better with the tylenol. 

Last night wasn't the best night, but it also wasn't quite as bad as I had anticipated it being.  The good news is Landon hasn't had any fever today!  Yahoo!  His "rash" seems to be getting a little more so though, but HOPEFULLY since the fever is gone that means we are on the up!?!  We shall see...I can tell his throat is bothering him today.  He really isn't eating a whole lot...he's getting a lot of ice cream, yougurt, and cheese. 

SO I don't know if this came from the Kids Zone at the gym, the pool, where, but it sucks and I am ready for it to be gone.  Great news about it too is that it's SUPER contagious...awesome.  My fingers, toes, eyes, and everything else are crossed that R doesn't get it next...

No comments:

Post a Comment