Monday, September 12, 2011

September 11th


September 11, 2001 does not seem as though it was ten years ago.  I remember it exactly.  Ellen and I got out of one of our classes early, it was being held that day in the computer lab at the library.  We got out of class and on one of the tvs saw that one of the trade towers had been hit.  I remember how we thought that was terrible, but didn't think all that much of it.  I know it was a Tuesday and I'm pretty sure we had "fun" the night before and wanted to get a nice greasy breakfast from Danieley.  As we were eating our breakfast we were watching the Today Show and saw the airplane hit the other tower, then the pentagon, and then the crash in Pennsylvania.  We were glued to the tv and were sickened with what we were hearing/seeing.

We went back to our flat and we all watched the news coverage the rest of the day.  I can't remember if classes were cancelled that afternoon, but I am pretty sure I didn't go to my other class.  I was in shock.  I remember trying to call my dad to make sure he wasn't in New York City on business that day and thankfully he wasn't.  My aunt was though and it was just so scary...I had been in those trade towers several times, mostly on school field trips growing up.

It is a day I will never forget.  I read on Facebook that "9/11 is the Pearl Harbour of our generation."  So true.  My heart ached all day for the families that were affected.  All the young children that read one of their parent's names that probably doesn't even remember life with that parent.  The wives, the husbands, mothers, fathers, the children...it is just so sad.

September 11th is a day that my children, my grandchildren, my great grandchilden, and several more generations to follow will learn about as a day that changed the United States forever.  It's a day we will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment