Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Always an Adventure

My birthday weekend was so much fun, well most of it anyway.  We had our great dinner on Friday night, then on Saturday, while Keith was at his soccer game, we went to the mall and then met Keith for lunch.

Photo op with Mum-Mum and Pop-Pop

Playing on the "ice cream truck," with her new kicks!

Riding the "choo-choo" with Mommy and Pop-Pop around the mall...pretty fun!  Reags leaned out and said "huwhoah" to several people walking by!

We were able to sneak out that night, thanks to babysitters Mum-Mum and Pop-Pop!  We went to my favorite restaurant, Maggiano's and did a little shopping around the mall too.  Our big purchase of the night, DROIDS!  We did it, we are now officially in the 21st century.  We figured if my Gran and Gramps can do it, so can we!  :)  Keith has been using a phone that is probably 10 years old, seriously!  He didn't care though, it did what he needed it to do.  Anyway, this was a fun new purchase, now we just have to learn how to really work the thing!



After phone shopping and dinner we were on our way home...so exciting we are!  It was a fun night out though...they are few and far between and when #2 arrives, they will be fewer and farther between!


On Sunday morning when I got Reagan up, I thought she felt a little warm.  However, she did have on fleece, heavy pj's so I thought that was it.  Turns out she had a slight fever, so I gave her some Tylenol and called it a morning, she was acting fine.  As the day went on she started to feel warmer and warmer, by lunch her temp was 102.5!!  Frieck out mode kicked in!!  Reagan has had literally one other fever ever, but never that high.  I gave her more medicine and she took a nap in bed with me while Keith waited for the on call nurse at our doctor's office to call us back.  Reagan's fever seemed a little better after her nap and she was ready to play, but at about 5:30, all she wanted to do was cuddle and she was burning up!!  At about 6:30 I took her temperature and it read 104.5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Talk about panic!!  I told Keith what her temp was and we were out the door on our way to the ER.  I was scared out of my mind as to what was wrong.  I just felt so terrible!  Of course we got the ER and we waited for a little while for the nurse to see us.  She took Regan's temperature rectally (no fun at all!) and it was 102.8...better, but not great.  We gave her some motrin and then waited back out in the waiting area for a room to open up for a doctor to see us.  THANK GOODNESS we had just bought our Droids because I was able to pull up partial episodes of Dora and Kai-Lan to keep her occupied...that was our saving grace! :)  We finally went back to see the doctor and again, temperature had to be taken the same way and it had gone down to 100.6, thank goodness!  The doctor thought everything sounded and looked fine, other than the temperature and said that in girls sometimes a urinary tract infection can cause the fever.  SO they had to catheter Reagan for a minute to get a fresh urine sample...talk about breaking your heart!  She was screaming like I have never heard her scream before....of course I was crying and telling the nurses to do what they needed to do to get what they needed because we weren't doing that again!  Oh it was terrible!!  About 45ish minutes later the results came back fine and we were told to just alternate between tylenol and advil...(Just a typical Kepplinger adventure, on our way home from the ER, Keith had to pull over so that I could throw up...lovely I know...I think it was just a mix of being worked up from the hospital and I hadn't eaten anything in awhile.  Yup, it's always something!)

Monday morning Reags was still warm, but not nearly as warm, thankfully.  I called the ped office because we were supposed to go in for a follow up.  Temp had gone way down, but the doctor wanted to test for strep.  UGH!  If I had to look into Reagan's screaming, crying eyes one more time, I was going to lose it.  Thankfully that was negative and she thinks it's just a virus running it's course.  The good news is that Reagan was much more herself on Monday and ate a little more than the day before...all good signs!

She slept well last night...up at 4:30.  I gave her advil and she and I went back to sleep in the guest room until about 7:40, so I was glad for that.  She still has had a low grade fever all day today, so I am thinking we'll be home for one more day...poor thing!!

SO that is our last few days in a nutshell...it is supposed to be almost 70* tomorrow, so I can guarantee you our windows will be open and all of the germs will be blown out of this house!!

No comments:

Post a Comment