Saturday, June 6, 2009

Happy "Birth" Day!

Friday morning, June 5th, at 6:00am...I thought maybe my water had broken! I got up, used the bathroom, and couldn't believe how badly my back hurt. I went into the computer room and googled, "how do I know if my water broke?" (haha...what a sign of the times!!) From what I read it sounded like maybe it did. I woke up Keith, as I am crying, telling him I am pretty sure my water broke. I hopped in the shower quickly, scared the baby might fall out, and then called the hospital when I got out. After explaining my symptoms to the doctor, he said to come on in and that "today is the day!" Hearing him say that was nervewracking, but exciting at the same time!!

Keith and I left the house by about 7:30. At this point I was feeling big time contractions! My back was still KILLING me!! We made our phone calls to family and friends that we were on our way and kept saying, we're going to have this peanut TODAY!

When we got to the hospital we got checked in quickly and I was put in a room right away. My contractions felt like they were REALLY coming fast at this point and when I got hooked up to the monitors I was right, every 2 minutes. I was already 5 cm. dialated as well! Things seemed to be crusing right along. All I kept telling the nurses was, "I DO want drugs, anything you can give me...I'll take it!" After finding my "focal points" in the room and breathing through a couple hours of contractions, epidural man was present! THANK GOODNESS! It was SOOOO pain free! Seriously, I was nervous for the shot, but gracious, it was NOTHING! Almost instantly I felt NO pain! What a beautiful thing!!

As we rested for the next couple of hours Keith kept telling me how strong my contractions were and I just said, "sweet!" Didn't bother me, I didn't feel a thing. The funny thing is with the combination of epidural and fluids I was getting I was shaking sooo bad! It was like I was FREEZING cold. My teeth were chattering, the whole nine yards, it was pretty funny. From 10:30-2:30 I was feeling GREAT!!

At about 2:30 by back was starting to bother me again and it was coming and going. I asked Keith, "am I having a contraction?" He said yes everytime my back hurt. UH OH...this meant I was starting to feel this baby and I hadn't even started pushing yet! The nurses had me start pushing to "ease the pain in my back." This did help for a little bit, but I was in more pain than I cared to be in. I was topped off with some kind of drug to help take the edge off. It really didn't do a whole lot. I had to keep pushing!!

I won't go into all the details, but after 2 1/2 hours of pushing this sweet baby, I really didn't know if I could do it anymore. I was SOOO hot and tired! However, at 5:21pm when "it's a girl!" came out of the doctor's mouth, it was all worth it!

I have to admit, like many of you, I was VERY surprised that we had a little girl!! We were thrilled though and Keith followed with her to the nursery while I was getting all finished up. Reagan was having a little trouble breathing at first, so I didn't get to see her right away, but she was just fine!!

We have our little baby and she is just the most precious thing in the world. We love her to pieces! How funny is it that the night before I did not update the blog with "still no baby, part 2" and then the next morning, bam...we have a baby on the way!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, guys! I am SO excited for you!! Love you to pieces!

    ReplyDelete