Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of School...


Today is a strange day....it's the first day of school in NC and I'm not at school. I am BEYOND thrilled to be home with Reagan, I am sooo glad that I am able to and beyond relieved that I didn't have to take her to daycare. However, there is a part of me that feels very weird not starting a school year. Think about it...I have started school EVERY year since PRE-SCHOOL!! This is the first year I haven't shopped for school supplies, gotten a first day of school outfit...all these things that I have done for as long as I can remember!!

Just a little background info. on me, if you didn't know...I wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember! I would ask for "teacher kits" from Santa, I would make fake tests and grade them, I would play school with my brother and sister, I even wanted to wear all the themed holiday sweaters...being a teacher is what I knew I wanted to do! I went to Elon, started taking the classes, and loved it! Student teaching was a little more realistic as Stef and I navigated our way through our own lesson plans and interactive, hands on learning! Then the first job...I landed a 4th grade teaching job at New Hope, which is where I did my student teaching. I was sooo excited!! That year was great...I had a good class, which grew to 29 students by the end, but good kids!! I taught 4th grade at New Hope for 2 years, asked to move to 2nd grade and taught that for 2 years, (which was my favorite!) and then we moved. I taught 3rd grade at Rolesville for a year. Not too many people have taught 20 different grades like I have in such a short amount of time...haha...if I had gone back this year I would have taught 5th grade science.

While I have to admit I am a little sad not teaching this year, I know that once I hear my teacher friends complaining about the work load, the paperwork, this workshop, that training, or how long that after school meeting was, I will feel better...it's just a strange thing not doing what you are used to doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment